Tuesday, February 20, 2007

If You Want to Get Clients Now, Avoid the 'Bright Shiny Object' Syndrome

Most of my clients come to me for help actually knowing what to do to get clients. Many have been in business for years and years and have experienced what it’s like to have lots of clients. But things have changed and that’s no longer the case. So they’ve since read plenty of books, bought manuals, attended 4-day workshops, heard countless teleclasses, but still don’t have all the clients they need.

You’d think, with all that information, they’d be ready to implement it all. I mean, doesn’t it just take putting one foot in front of the other? What I’ve discovered is it’s not that easy. Sure, you may know you have to get clear on what you offer. Then, once you do that, you’ve got to create a niche, a compelling marketing message, then focus on who your ideal clients are, and then market to them consistently.

But because of the Information Age that we’re smack in the middle of, there are almost TOO many things to work on. Recently, a client asked me to help her set up an affiliate program. She also asked me about shopping carts and other complicated stuff like that. The thing is she still didn’t have a business card, a website, or an ezine in place. Trust me; she’s far from being alone.

We’re all affected with the ‘Bright Shiny Object’ Syndrome, in one way or another. Sometimes I find myself caught in the web of all the bright shiny opportunities I want to take advantage of. The problem is, these distract us, pull away our focus and dilute our efforts.

‘Bright Shiny Objects’ stop us in our tracks. I know from experience, because that’s what happened to me this past year. At the beginning of last year, I had purchased over a dozen home study courses, had signed on to a yearlong wealth building program, and had committed to (and paid for) a 3-year round of wealth, personal growth, and business courses. Oh, not to mention being part of two mastermind groups, doing active personal growth and development, and working with a coach. That didn’t even include my responsibilities to my clients, my family, and myself.

Seriously, WHAT was I thinking?!?

No wonder I couldn’t focus on anything and get anything really accomplished (well, according to my standards). I had been distracted by all the glittering opportunities, wondering what to work on first. Each “thing” on my list was pulling me in a different direction and when I sat in my office, I couldn’t seem to get any work done. All the shiny projects were calling out at me from the bookshelf. I felt compelled to do it all; therefore, nothing was being done.

With help from someone I trust, I decided to take a hiatus from everything. I took a break from DOING, and after a couple of weeks, I started prioritizing. What’s going to make the most sense to work on first? What will bring in the most revenue effortlessly? What’s most authentic and natural for me right now? What do my clients and subscribers need most from me for them to succeed?

Now, it’s so clear. I know what to do next. I’ve prioritized and I know what foot to put in front of the other. Ironically, that’s what I do with clients every day. For example, the client we talked about earlier. It’s clear that before we work on affiliate programs and other complicated stuff, we needed to focus on what’s going to bring her clients, in this case, a simple Client Attractive website, an e-zine that will establish her know-like-trust factor, more networking and speaking. First things first. Shiny objects later.

YOUR ASSIGNMENT:

Start thinking about how you’re working these days. Are you focused? Are you operating in a step-by-step process, or are you confused about what to do next, pulled into a bazillion directions, not getting anything done? Decide to put one foot in front of the other and be OK with not being seduced by the Bright Shiny Objects beckoning you. Get some help prioritizing and implementing if you need to. You’ll have time later on for all the other glittering stuff, AFTER you’ve implemented the proven basics that work.

If you’re stuck with prioritizing or what to do next to fill your practice, you’ll benefit from a step-by-step system that feels easy and authentic to you. The Client Attraction Home Study System™ avoids all the Bright Shiny objects and instead gives you the most important things to do to set up simple, solid systems, so that you consistently fill your pipeline and continually get new clients. It’s all step-by-step, not a big mishmash of things. So, you do step one of the system, and when you’re done with that, you move on to step two, and so on. So easy. All the tools, scripts, templates, and examples are handed to you on a silver platter. You can get it at http://www.theclientattractionsystem.com/.

© 2007 Client Attraction LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Fabienne Fredrickson, The Client Attraction Mentor, is founder of the Client Attraction System™ and http://www.clientattraction.com/, the proven step-by-step program to attract more clients, make more m’oney being self-employed, while having more time off to enjoy it all. To receive your F.R.E.E. Audio CD by mail and get weekly how-to articles on attracting more clients, visit http://www.clientattraction.com/.